Middle School Ministry
Purpose, Goals and Values
Middle School Ministry exists to excite and empower all young adolescents of St. Joseph Parish in grades 5-8, to fully participate in the life of the Catholic Church. The goals of this ministry are best summarized in the USCCB pastoral document, Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry. Specifically, these goals are:
- To empower young adolescents to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
- To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the Catholic faith community.
- To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
In order to accomplish these goals, the church uses a comprehensive approach with its ministry to and with young adolescents and their families. This approach is designed to be developmentally appropriate, family friendly, intergenerational, flexible and adaptable, and multicultural. The ministry strives to provide advocacy for youth as well as leadership opportunities for young adolescents.
The following core values are at the heart of all programming for young adolescents at St. Joseph Parish:
- Respect and acceptance of all youth for who they are and where they are on their spiritual journey
- Faith centered programming that supports the mission of the parish and the teaching of the Catholic Church
- Welcoming, safe and inclusive atmosphere
- Youth are viewed as assets to the community with gifts to share